Monday, January 31, 2011

Anglo Saxon Colored Pencil Folk Art Bible-Numbers

Anglo Saxon Colored Pencil Folk Art Bible-Numbers
18" x 24" on Sketch Paper

Book 4 Poster 4

Wandering. One year of wandering for every day the spies spied out the land.
While it may be necessary to pass through wilderness experiences, you don't have to live there.
You think there were a lot of sacrifices in Leviticus? For 1.2 million adults to die in 40 years would be more than 80 funerals a day-one every 20 minutes.
This poster shows the banners I made to represent the twelve tribes. Each banner shows the number of men old enough to go to war when the Israelites entered the wilderness. They were counted latter as well, after this generation passed away. I have placed the tribes in the north, south, east, and west directions according to the placement given them in the book. The colors of the banners are chosen by the order of an artist's color wheel. A couple of years later in my studies I discovered these tribes had actual coats of arms and banners or standards. Oh well. To late to change because in later posters I have maintained the tribal colors when I knew the person belonged to a particular tribe by making his or her clothes match the banner.
I did not show offerings or sacrifices even though many are mentioned as are many laws, duties and ordinances, because I had already shown that in Leviticus. Instead I chose to show the numbering and arrangement of the people as they prepared to take their inheritance. It didn't work out as planned and so much complaining, distrust, disobedience, and strife took place first that at one point  God  sent fiery serpents to plague the people until Moses interceded for them. As you look around the picture you will see many battles, many ill people, the brass serpent, and Moses with his hands out in the center pleading.  They eventually prepare the second generation to move beyond the Jordan.
Obey God and leave the consequences to Him.

2 comments:

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

I am so impressed with all your colored pencil work. That must take a long time and you are keeping at it. Congratulations.

Maeona Urban said...

I'm cheating Nancy. I started this project about 4 years ago I'm guessing, but just now posting them one each week. I am only through Ecclesiastes and working on Solomon now.