Sunday, January 23, 2011

Anglo Saxon Colored Pencil Folk Art Bible-Leviticus

Anglo Saxon Colored Pencil Folk Art Bible-Leviticus
18" x 24" on sketch paper

Book 3 Poster 3

As in Exodus you once again see the basic Mt Sinai in the background of the camp only a bit closer than it was before because we are now camped at the base. After going through all the work to make the tabernacle with all its implements of sacrifice and service it now becomes time to put it all to use. My key words for remembering this book are Holy Sacrifice and Holy Service. It applies to the group as a whole, to individuals, and to the priests. As I read through it I was impressed with the idea that in so many ways all this bloodshed pointed toward Christ and His final sacrifice for us so I placed a lamb centered in the foreground an I drew vanishing points that lead toward him. Vanishing point is an artistic term used to keep things in perspective like when parallel train tracks are drawn to look like they merge in the distance or when you make fence posts get smaller and closer together. They are also used to keep buildings and other objects drawn correctly.
In this picture I have drawn many things that visually go along these perspective lines to bring your attention to the lamb. Beginning with the man on the left holding a bird out towards the priest, the angle of his right arm and the long cuff of the priest's left sleeve reaching out for the bird point to the lamb. The tail end of the priest's sash belt gently turns toward the lamb. The general angle of all the objects such as the ewe and lamb in the background on the left, the man holding the bird the priest and all their shadows angle toward the lamb at the base of the picture.  If I had to bring a perfect lamb for sacrifice and had to bring it from any distance at all I would bring it's mother along to take care of it until it was time. The angle of the baskets and their shadows on the right side of the picture follow a line towards the lamb. The folds of the cloth in the man's garment beside the goat are shaded towards the lamb as is the dark streak of fur on the chest of the goat. I think of this as the scape goat and he is also looking at the lamb in the center of everything.
If you look around you will also see I have grouped several things in threes. They just seemed to group that way in my mind as I thought about the offerings.
This entire process of sacrifices is a messy business and I tried to show the meat, the blood on the front of the man's garments, the cleaning out of the ashes, and the urn of blood for sprinkling and pouring without making the scene seem abhorrent but I'm sure there was a great deal more blood and mess around. I don't think sacrifice is supposed to be a pleasant thing. And I do think Leviticus points us to the sacrifice Christ has made for us.

No comments: