Friday, January 14, 2011

Anglo Saxon Colored Pencil Folk Art Bible-Genesis

Genesis
Some of you already know that I have a long term art project I call my Anglo Saxon Colored Pencil Folk Art Bible. I titled it that because all my pictures will come from my western cultural white background and not because I am prejudice in any way. It began as a means to keep my interest in my reading. Let's face it I am an artist and therefore a visually oriented person and I do better when I can see things. Each colored pencil picture is 18" x 24" and fit into a poster frame. They are completely done with colored pencil on sketch paper. I'm attempting to improve on the quality of the photos but am finding it difficult to get a good shot through plastic so bear with me.
First I read through the entire book of Genesis and jot down some key words or ideas that could be visualized. Then I review what I have written and make little stick figure ideas. Then I make preliminary sketch very scribbled on an 8" x 10" sheet of copy paper. Afterward I transfer that idea to the 18" x 24" paper. Then begins the color process which often takes many layers and hours of work.
Here in the drawing you see Genesis, including the stormy colors of creation, the fall of Adam and Eve and the serpeant, the flood is represented by an ark floating out in the waters just past the Tower of  Babel and the Raven Noah released in the forground. I had a dove in the tree by Adam and Eve but I just didn't like the way it attracted my eye to it so I used my artistic license and erased it. You can not see in this photo that there are sideways rains happening out in the distance or that there are tiny little stick people around the Tower.
Then I felt like there needed to be a great crevice between the fall and Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and Joseph represented by the offering on the alter, the porridge or stew, the hunting equipment, and the coat.
In later drawings I use the stormy sky colors to represent the idea of creation or being back at the beginning. To this date I have just about completed through Ecclesiastes and will be adding them to my blog one at a time.

No comments: