Thursday, January 20, 2011

Anglo Saxon Colored Pencil Folk Art Bible-Exodus

Anglo Saxon Colored Pencil Folk Art Bible-Exodus
18" x 24" on sketch paper

Book 2 Poster 2

In the background you see a reasonable facsimile of the outline of Mt Sinai. The tallest mountain in Egypt at over 8,000 feet. In the foreground are my renditions of the painted Egyptian columns which seem to be my first mental image of what I might see if I went to ancient times. I will use these columns in other pictures where a reference to Egypt might be needed to take us back there.
To me Exodus is about bondage, redemption, and revelations of things to come.  If you look in the bottom right hand corner you will see a frog and a fly representing two of the ten plagues. If you look at the posts and beam exiting the city you will find my depiction of the blood on the lintel that saved the first born of the Israelites. Yes I know this isn't a house doorway but that is why I have chosen folk art style so that I don't have to adhere to reality. And at the bottom you also see Pharaoh pointing as he sends the people away and as he sends his chariots after them. You see the people leaving with all their goods and on either side of them are walls of water while they walk on the dry land towards Mt. Sinai. There at the foot of the mountains you see the tabernacle, the holy pillar of smoke, and Moses, who just happens to have a little glow about him. I'm not sure you can see the glow in this photo but trust me he has one. He is the little speck to the left of the tabernacle.  And the little yellow box close to the tabernacle is the mercy seat being carried.
I probably should have written things down about these pictures earlier because I know I am forgetting the reasons why I put some things in them. For instance that bull baffles me. He is rather dominant looking so I must have had something in mind. I will have to go back and check in Exodus. And I probably would draw these pictures differently after another reading because different things stand out in my mind.
I hope you enjoy sharing my visual aids.
I've just discovered I can enlarge the photo by clicking on it and then I can enlarge it even more after that screen comes on. I hope you can too.

No comments: