Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Seated Plein Air Painter

Seated Plein Air Painter
Oil on Canvas Board
14" x 18"






As a member of the Portland Plein Air Painters I have been working on a project called "Expressionist Plein Air". Since I have been trapped in studio painting for years this is a challenge for me. The first assignment was to do minimalist paintings in Plein Air. I first had to study some minimalist artwork to even get some idea. Well here is my effort. My friend Nancy and I went out painting on Sand Island, St. Helens Oregon. The green is the receding tree line heading down the beach. The tan is the beach. The blue sky. The red is her blouse. She was wearing white shorts and leaning toward her painting surface, which was pastel paper. The black under her is the shadow area cast by how she was seated.

No comments: