Saturday, August 9, 2008

Cafe in the Heat of the Day

Cafe in the Heat of the Day
16" x 20"
Oil on Canvas
Sold






Expressionist Plein Air project assignment number three. Do studio expressionist piece from sketch, plein air, photo or imagination/memory.

My previous entry shows a study I did of a VanGogh cafe. This is our local cafe only instead of night mine is in the afternoon. I wasn't able to get the texture I wanted when I did the Van Gogh study so I used a palette knife to do most of this one. I'm trying to learn something new after painting in a closet for so many years. This has been a fun assignment.

2 comments:

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

It feels like a hot day! Great job, Maeona! Did you feel like you got something out of the van Gogh painting?

Maeona Urban said...

Yes, I did fell like I got something out of it. I didn't even come close to his technique so I changed from a brush to a palette knife to force myself to use more paint and texture.