Thursday, February 14, 2008

Northwest Coast Raven Design


Raven
Acrylic on Canvas
6" x 12"
2006

Several years ago I used to do these carvings in wood by using a computer driven router for cutting. I studied the legend, drew the design, scanned it into a computer that digitized my lines, and transfered the information to a machine that did the carving. I no longer have access to that equipment and it took me 4-5 years to realize I could just paint them "trompe loeil", or as if they were carved but actually painted.

This is Raven. Ravens grow up to marry Eagles. Raven's never marry Raven's or Eagles, Eagles. This is forbidden. In this Raven design I have used the ovoid shape around the eye, in the eye, and as the nostril. The red shapes in the bill and head are called Split U's. They are purely decorations to the main design. The black form line is continuous forming the outline of the bird. Both the black and the red are on the same plain or surface. It's a challenge to paint the lines and shadows so that appear to be carved wood.

No comments: