Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Anglo Saxon Colored Pencil Folk Art Bible-Ruth

Anglo Saxon Colored Pencil Folk Art Bible - Ruth
18" x 24" on Sketch Paper

Book 8 Poster 8

Interlude of Love
Guidance of God

First of all I must apologize for this photo. There appears to be a reflection of the portrait of a man in the center of the paper. Each of these posters are covered with a plastic that reflects things in the room. I do believe that is a reflection of my husband standing there. Upon seeing this photo we both said, "wow, that must be Boaz". :-)
I may just lightly sketch it in when the poster comes home.

My husband also says there doesn't seem to be much in this picture. I intentionally put the figures of the three women in the foreground and lots of empty space between them and Bethlehem to represent both the fact that Naomi had travel to a foreign land but also to show the famine of her own land. You can see here too that they are empty handed.
Naomi's robes are the blue color I assigned to the tribe of Judah when I made the banners in Numbers. The daughter-in-laws are both a greenish color different from any banner color to show they are Moabites and not one of the tribes. Yes I know this is a bit much but you must remember these are my long winter projects and I am in no hurry with them.
At the top of the page centered between the hills you see the town of Bethlehem with women in Judah blue gleening in Boaz's green fields where Namoi and Ruth will find God's provision. You also see the servant of Boaz tending one of his flock and watching over Ruth near the threshing building where Ruth is redemed before her marriage to Boaz and the birth of a son that becomes part of the line of David. God has filled their lives.
When I had finished the picture my husband told me he thought Boaz should have been more prominently placed somewhere because without his obedience to the marriage and inheritance laws that no redemption would have taken place. I agreed Boaz did play a big part but the book after all was not named Boaz but was named Ruth. Although after seeing that reflection I my just sneak Boaz very lightly into the scene.

2 comments:

Kathy Fisher said...

Ruth, one of my favorite women of the Bible. And we all know that beautiful pledge of hers to Naomi, made popular in wedding vows: Whither thou goest, I will go...your people shall be my people and your God, my God. Ruth was one gutsy gal, especially in light of the fact that she had just recently become a widow...with no means of support, pledging herself to her widowed mother-in-law. Love the story. Great job visually interpreting it.

Maeona Urban said...

Thanks Kathy :-)