Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Portrait Project


Self Portrait
Oil on Canvas
14" x 11"

This is my first attempt at a self portrait. I am doing it in conjunction with a project with the Portland Plein Air & Studio Painters. About 20 of us have paired up. Each person is to do a self portrait and a portrait of their painting partner. I have done portraits of people before but have always shied away from doing one of myself. Now I wish I had done it when I was younger and less "character lines". It is really difficult to be objective. I'm open for constructive critiques.

5 comments:

Celeste Bergin said...

You did so well, Maeona! My only criticism is that you made yourself look older than you look. It is quite a good resemblance, however (aside from the concentration on lines that I don't think are there). Well done!

Maeona Urban said...

Thanks for thinking I look younger! Maybe I should take a few liberties and apply some "oil of olay" to my canvas.

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

You captured a good likeness, Maeona, but I agree with Celeste that the lines are too many and too dark. Maybe the skin tones in the painting are darker than your own fair skin. You have lovely skin. Good job!

Maeona Urban said...

As I have been looking at it I was wondering if my skin tone was actually lighter. I didn't want to look pastie. I think I'll take both your advise and use some lighter tones as a wrinkle cream. Thanks for the comments!

Anonymous said...

Hi how are you? I was looking at your posts and liked what I mused on and read.

I would like you to visit my art blog here in my sunny home of San Diego.

I hope to hear from you soon.....

Jesse Noe