Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Outing at Sauvie Island, Oregon

This was the beginning of the day.







This is stage two.

This is stage three.


I would call it the finished painting but I'm finding it rather bland.
My husband says it's peaceful. It was a cold, wet, windy day and about six or eight artists were huddled in a wildlife viewing shelter. At one point in the day about 40 high schoolers unloaded from a bus to identify birds so we shared the shelter with them for about 15-20- minutes. When it was time for us to quit for the day the sun came out.



I'm looking for comments on this one. Should I put a flock of ducks, a log in the foreground, leave it alone, or paint over it?

2 comments:

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

There's a lot about this painting that is really pleasing to look at. The reflections in the water are great and the feel of the day is just as you describe.

My only comment is that things look very organized and regular, maybe that's what is making it feel "bland" to you. I don't know how to make that into a solution for this painting, but maybe if you went there again to paint you could look for what is irregular, wild, surprising, out of whack. Even ugly!

Great to see your painting as you progressed through the day. Thank you for sharing!

Maeona Urban said...

Thanks for your suggestions!