Thursday, February 19, 2009

Portrait of Kathy Allegri


"Paper Cut Out Kathy"
8" x 6"


"Kathy"
Oil on Canvas
14" x 11"





This is my finished portrait of Kathy Allegri. The Portland Plein Air & Studio Painters teamed up two by two for a project. We each were to do a self portrait which I painted first for practicing my people skills and which I posted earlier. Then we were to do a portrait of our partner. Kathy has such beautiful skin color in real life and I must admit that I had to attempt many variations and I'm still not certain about what I have on canvas. I did the paper cut out from a few scraps I had in my studio so the values of the hair and skin tones are too close but it helped me to get an idea where the basics were. Kathy has such an engaging smile both in person and in the photos she sent me that I made both portraits, the one of myself and the one of her smiling, but I found teeth a challenge and have vowed that my next portrait subject will have to be happy with their mouth closed if I get to choose.
Kathy I enjoyed painting you and I learned some very nice things in our correspondence. See you in person soon I hope.

2 comments:

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

Maeona, I love your cut outs for value. I may have to give that a try.

Maeona Urban said...

Thanks. Those were the only paper colors I had so the hair and skin values are too close but you got the idea anyway.